Sunday, January 31, 2010

Making a photo meaningful...


This week's module was focused on photography. I took a photo of the beach, my new home. When I took this photo, I was thinking about my longing for my family and familiarity, while in this new beautiful place. I wanted to capture that longing, so when I held my camera, I angled it so the lines on the beach drew you far away into the distance. This was representative of the distance between me and my loved ones. I also included the waves and the sunshine as a symbol of dreams and hope in this new place of opportunity. The sunshine is very spiritual to me, a comfort, that everything happens for a reason, and that there was a reason why I came to this place.

When I read the article, "Elements of a Great Photo," it reminded me of the rule of thirds. When I took this photo, I wanted my focus to be the lines on the beach, which are placed in the right third of the photo. I also used the angle of the sun to give the photo a spiritual glow. This photo was originally posted on Facebook for my classmates to add commentary, and one cohort suggested a theme of symmetry. While, symmetry was not originally intended when I took the photo, I liked the idea. I had posted two meanings this photo had for me: 1) A longing for home and 2) fulfilling a dream. The symmetry in the photo between the light side and the dark side, could also mimic those two meanings. In the same article, "Elements of a Great Photo," it stated the 'storytelling' is probably the most effective technique in creating a meaningful photo. Storytelling gives a photo the power to convey a mood, which moves the viewer in some way. While I am not a professional photographer, I use this theme to help describe my story through my photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment