Sunday, February 28, 2010

Architecture: What qualities of your experience are influenced by what qualities of the designed environment?

In this week's module, we were asked to visit two retail spaces, both which were in the same niche, and evaluate their interior design. In my evaluation I focused on the product which was being sold, in relation to the architectural design of the store which sells it. Because I have such a sweet tooth, I decided to evaluate an ice cream shop and frozen yogurt store. Here is my evaluation:

Coldstone Creamery-

As soon as I walk into the Coldstone Creamery, the scent of freshly baked waffle cones hits my nose, and I notice the elaborate signs taking up most of the wall space, listing millions of choices to fit my heart’s desire. Coldstone offers a unique “ice cream experience” in that the ice cream and toppings are hand-folded together on a giant cold slab of stone. The slab of stone is at the center of your ordering experience. The huge signs on the wall have endless descriptions specifically written with adjectives such as, “gooey caramel,” or “fresh-baked brownie,” to make your mouth water. The Coldstone Creamery logo is seen everywhere from the employee hats and shirts, the ice cream cups, and the signs located all over the store, including a large sign above the ice cream making station. The creamery is set up so that you order and walk down the line as you watch your special ice cream prepared on the cold slab of stone. At the end of the counter is a large freezer showcasing even more elaborate ice cream cakes than the one in your hand. Overall the interior design of the creamery, is inviting and rich from the deep red color of the brand, to the intricate and detailed signs- all fitting to the product. The tables and chairs are arranged in groups of 2 to 4, and look as if they invite customers to indulge in a “dining experience,” because a trip to Coldstone is not going to be “fat-free” or “low-calorie,” it is going to be a special occasion of pure sugar pleasure.

Yogaberry-

The bright lime green and fluorescent purple sign of “Yogaberry” drew me in to this cute frozen yogurt shop on my first visit. I repeatedly go back because Yogaberry is not just any frozen yogurt, it’s organic and always fat-free, which equals guilt-free. The first thing I notice when I walk in are the little green round stools at each white table, which reminded me of sitting atop large “berries” like in the store’s name. When I walk up to the counter my eyes immediately admire the toppings station filled with lots of fresh cut fruit, and I mean FRESH. Then I notice the simple design of the menu signs hanging on the wall. There are six flavors, one of which changes weekly. They all say “fat-free” underneath them to remind you that this stuff isn’t bad for the waistline. These signs are simple and to the point emphasizing “organic.” I also notice a poster listing reasons “Why Yogurt is Good for You.” The space is designed to be bright, open, and simple. The Yogaberry logo is seen all sorts of places such as the employee tee-shirts, on the glass window, and on the display with Yogaberry tees and sweatshirts for sale. The seating area has a large bench seat stretching along the wall, and little green stools on the opposite side. The stools are fun and unique. The seating area seems like a short-term place to enjoy your yogurt for about 15 minutes and be on your way. The architectural design of the store reflects this guilt-free simplistic design of the product of which it’s selling. Overall, I feel this space was designed with minimalism in mind, reflecting the organic simple yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment