Sunday, April 11, 2010

Learning and Teaching Styles

Thinking about the work of art in fashion in comparison to the work of art in teaching, I think about STYLE. I blogged earlier about someone's style of fashion and how it can define your personality. I can form an imaginative bridge between fashion style to teaching and learning style. I think a person's learning style drives their teaching style. For example I know that I am a very visual learner, so I like to teach using lots of visual aids. I also recognize that my students all have different learning styles and it is my job to make sure I am differentiating my instruction to reach all of my students various learning needs. For example, an auditory learner may better learn their spelling words by hearing them spelled out loud, whereas a visual learner like myself needs to see them spelled out on the board. So, in my spelling lesson I would do both. Read the word, write it on the board, and ask a student to spell the word orally. Some students learn better independently and some learn better with a partner, so I would give students the choice during a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment